Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Defining the term "Native"

. . . So, for example, who can name an animal that is native to Israel?

"Kangaroos!"

--"Kangaroos are native to Australia."

"I saw some in the Ramat Gan Zoo."

--"Well they came here from Australia."

"Did they swim here?"**

--"No. First of all I'm not sure if they can swim. And Australia is very far away. I know it seems funny, but I'm sure they flew, just like how Australian people get here."

(Credulous look directed is directed my way, then:)

"If they can't swim, they can't fly."




**When later asked why she wanted to know if the kangaroos swam to Israel, Gaea calmly replied, "My dad says that's how animals came to grow up on islands." When gently reminded that Israel is not an island Gaea answered, in a triumphant sing-song "But Austrrrrrrrrrrrralia is!" (I did not bring up the fact that kangaroos are massive land mammals with tiny, comically ineffectual front arms and marsupial pouches that would quickly become water-logged during a cross-oceanic voyage).

1 comment:

  1. http://www.kangaroo-protection-coalition.com/kangaroo-swim.html

    apparently they can swim, with pics!

    -Robert

    ReplyDelete